Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

Barton County

Register of Deeds


Ajax Loading Image



Passport applications accepted from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, closed Holidays. The required forms are available in the Register of Deeds Office or on-line. Walk-ins are welcome but appointments are recommended for groups of 3 or more.

Normal turnaround is 7 to 10 weeks. The cost for a passport for persons 16 years of age and over is $130.00. For persons under 16 years of age the cost is $100.00.  This fee is collected by the Register of Deeds and forwarded to the U. S. Department of State with the application.  In addition, there is also a $35.00 execution fee per application paid directly to the Register of Deeds.

The passport fee should be in the form of a check or money order made payable to the US Department of State.  The execution fee should be in the form of cash or a check made payable to the Barton County Register of Deeds.



A passport is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer.  A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries.  Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue or verify United States passports.


To obtain a passport for the first time, you will need to go in person to one of the 8,000 passport acceptance facilities located throughout the United States.  Barton County Register of Deeds is one of the accepted facilities.


When applying for your passport you will need the following forms of documentation:

  • Two recent photographs of yourself (which can be taken here in the Register of Deeds office for $20)
  • Original Birth Certificate from the State where you were born or Certificate of Naturalization (proof of U.S. citizenship)
  • A valid form of photo identification such as a driver's license.

If you are between the ages of 16 and 17 at least one parent must accompany you.  For persons under the age of 16 both parents must be present.

You will need to apply in person if:

  • You are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time.
  • If your expired U.S. passport is not in your possession.
  • If your previous U.S. passport has expired AND was issued more than 15 years ago.
  • If your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under the age of 16.
  • If your currently valid U.S. passport has been lost or stolen.


You can renew by mail if:

  • Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged.
  • You received the passport within the past 15 years.
  • You were over the age of 16 when it was issued.
  • You still have the same name or can legally document your name change.
For latest information, please refer to http://travel.state.gov
You can get there by clicking on the U.S. Dept of State link under quick link on the right side of this page.
Submitting incorrect passport fees could delay the processing of your application.
Before submitting your application, read the information below carefully and entirely.
ADULT FIRST TIME APPLICANTS (Age 16 years and Older)
What are you applying for? Application Fee   Execution Fee   Use Form  
Adult Passport Book and Card $160.00   $35.00   DS-11  
Adult Passport Book $130.00   $35.00   DS-11  
Adult Passport Card $30.00   $35.00   DS-11  
All first time applicants must apply in person at a Passport Agency, Acceptance  
Facility, U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
All Minor Applicants (Under Age 16)
What are you Applying for or renewing?          
Minor Passport Book and Card $115.00   $35.00   DS-11  
Minor Passport Book $100.00   $35.00   DS-11  
Minor Passport Card $15.00   $35.00   DS-11  
All Minor Applicants, including renewals, must apply in person at a Passport Agency,
Acceptance Facility, U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  Both parents must be present, if one parent is unable to be present a parental consent form must be completed.
Use form DS-3053.

Certified Copies of Kansas Birth Certificates can be requested from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment web site.

Click on the Kansas Department of Health and Environment Quick Link

The forms listed on this page can be found on the U.S. Department of State web site.

Click on the US Dept of State Quick link