Facade Improvement Grant
Facade Improvement Grant
The Barton County Facade Improvement Grant (FIG) program provides financial assistance to businesses and property owners for façade improvements to defined areas to create a visual impact and increase economic prosperity, accessibility, and quality of life in Claflin, Ellinwood, Great Bend, and Hoisington, Kansas. The Program Summary provides more details.
- Applicants must be the property owner or business tenant and in good standing with the Government and local authorities.
- The building must be located in a defined district, as determined by Barton County. that area may include "downtown areas" of Claflin, Ellinwood, Great Bend and Hoisington and those businesses within "eye shot" of same. Please refer to the maps found below under Defined Districts.
- All property taxpayers are eligible for funding.
- Funds are for existing street-facing commercial properties in the defined community downtown areas of Claflin, Ellinwood, Great Bend, and Hoisington, Kansas.
- The program gives priority to retailers and restaurants.
- Funds may not be used for work begun before receiving a Grant Award Letter and Grant Agreement from Barton County.
- No more than one property, per application.
- No more than three properties, per year, per owner(s), and shareholders.
Barton County has determined that Claflin, Ellinwood, Great Bend, and Hoisington are areas of priority funding for purposes of this program.
Applications accepted beginning at 8:00 a.m., Wednesday, February 15, 2023, through 5:00 p.m., Wednesday, March 15, 2023. Grants will be provided in the amount of up to 75% of eligible project costs, with a maximum award of $20,000. Funding amounts are determined based on project size, match, and visual impact.
No more than twenty-five percent of the award may be used toward signage. No more than twenty-five percent of the award may be used toward windows. Applicants are encouraged to use more than fifty percent of the award toward visual impact.
Funding is available until program funds are depleted. Barton County reserve the right to alter, amend, or discontinue the program at any time without written notice. It is the intent of the program to have projects in multiple communities.
- The exterior project should make a noticeable contribution to the revitalization of the downtown areas.
- The exterior project should be compatible with and complement adjacent buildings.
- Eligible reimbursable expenses include but are not limited to exterior street-level improvements such as awnings, paint, windows, doors, lighting, railing, fencing, molding, restoration of architectural details, and accessibility ADA compliant projects. Improvements may include exterior masonry work, cornices, shutters, gutters, and historical architectural elements.
- In-eligible reimbursable expenses include but are not limited to interior projects, HVAC systems, roofs, landscaping, water spigots, murals, consumable goods, maintenance agreements, security systems, supplies, temporary products, chain-link fence, debris removal, parking surface areas, utility lines, and projects that involve insurance claims.
Please submit the application and ALL its contents at the same time.
- Application: (name must match W9 & the deed to the property unless the building tenant is applying to which they will need a letter signed by the property owner)
- Application Narrative: see application
- Photos: the building's exterior, including problem areas that will be renovated
- Quotes: all project expenditures must be from a Barton County licensed contractor(s) and vendor(s). If you are not able to secure a Barton County contractor or vendor for your project, provide a thorough explanation as to why not.
- Samples & Renderings: visuals of the finishes and products that will be used in the façade improvement.
- Property Insurance: must match the building address
- W9: (name must match W9 & the deed to the property unless the building tenant is applying to which they will need a letter signed by the property owner)
Barton County retains the option to obtain its own cost estimates for any project. Please allow 60-days for your application to be reviewed.