Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

Barton County

County Attorney


Ajax Loading Image


Victim Services FAQ

Will I receive compensation for appearing as a witness?
By statute you are entitled to a fee ($10.00) each time you are required to appear for a court hearing, plus mileage reimbursement. To collect fees, present your subpoena after each court hearing to the Victim Advocate in the Barton County Attorney's Office. A check will be mailed to you.

What if I am threatened as a witness?
Any attempt to prevent or dissuade a witness from testifying is a violation of the law. Report any such incident immediately to the police and the prosecuting attorney.

Should I talk to the defense attorney?
This is strictly your decision.

Will I be compensated for losses I have suffered as a result of being a victim of a crime?
Check with your insurance company. Your policy may provide coverage for personal injury or property loss due to a crime. If you were a victim of a violent crime, you may be eligible for compensation under the Kansas Crime Victims Compensation Law. Our office will assist you in securing the form necessary to make application for compensation. In addition, if a person is convicted and sentenced, the court may order the defendant to pay restitution, that is, to pay for the costs of your injuries, or damages. For that reason, it is important for you to document all  financial losses.

When will I get my property back?
All property will be released as soon as possible; however; each case is different, and sometimes the property might need to be held until after the trial. Discuss this question with the prosecutor handling you case or the Victim Advocate.

What if I change my mind and do not want to prosecute or testify?
A crime committed against any person is a crime against the state, and once a Complaint or an Information is filed, it becomes the State’s case. If you have any reluctance about testifying in a case, please discuss your concerns with the prosecutor handling your case or the Victim Advocate.

As a victim, will I be notified of all the defendant’s court hearings?
You will be subpoenaed at all hearings where your testimony is needed. Even if you are not subpoenaed for the preliminary hearing or trial, you will still be notified of them. You will also be notified of the defendant’s sentencing hearing. All other court proceedings are held in open court. You may attend any or all of the defendant’s hearings.

If I have a sexual assault exam completed at a hospital, who pay that bill?
If a sexual assault occurs and a sexual assault exam is conducted by a hospital, the bill for that service can be paid by the Barton County Attorney’s Office under K.S.A 65-448. The hospital or facility where the exam was conducted should send this bill directly to the Barton County Attorney's Office. If you, as the victim of the crime, receive the bill please send it to the Barton County Attorney’s Office for payment.