Baby Formula Do's and Don'ts
Baby Formula Do’s and Don’ts
- Prepare the formula according to the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Contact your doctor or local WIC Office for an equivalent to your baby’s formula if you can’t find your normal brand.
- Use safe, clean water.
- If using powdered formula always measure the water first and then add the powder.
- If the formula is not being fed immediately, refrigerate it right away, keep refrigerated until feeding, and use within 24 hours.
- Discard any formula left in the bottle after your infant has finished a feeding.
- Do not give infants younger than 12 months cows or goats milk.
- Do not dilute the formula to make to go farther. This will lead to malnutrition from underfeeding.
- Do not make homemade baby formula. This will not provide your infant with certain necessary nutrients and is a possible risk of contamination and to food-borne illness.
- Do not buy formula online that comes from outside the United States. This formula could be counterfeit.